Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Written World Memories

More years than I really care to count ago, a letter arrived to brighten my day while living in Imola, Italy.
A letter written by my eleven year old nephew Cory that began for the two of us a writing journey. A letter filled with the "news" an eleven year old would share and then a surprising turn.
He informed me he had been studying Christopher Columbus in school and stated that Christopher Columbus was from Italy. He went on to inform me that this information made him think of me. That made sense - I was living in Italy at the time. His next comment was surprising as he wrote that Christopher Columbus made him think of the Lone Ranger and that also made him think of me. Admittably that did not make sense to me ... that is until I read further. What followed was a "chapter" - if you will - of a story. Several pages of creativity had formed under his pencil and concluded with one simple question - "What happens next?"
To many this would not make sense, but this nephew had been one of a number of my nieces and nephews with whom I engaged in imaginative play during family gatherings as I took on the pleasure of keeping them occupied. We would create a story - acting out a Western Adventure. And now he was taking that to the written world.
And thus began three years of "manuscripting" through written letters sent back and forth through the mail; first between the USA and Italy, then Colorado and Pennsylvania before eventually passing over into the electronic world via email. And at the end of those three years "The Reid Saga" was complete. An imaginative story whose creation brought pleasure to a nephew and his aunt. 
The two moved on to create two other "back-and-forth, chapter-by-chapter" stories before college  for Cory intervened. So "The Reid Saga", "The Tavish tale", and "The Donavan-Walker Story" were set "on the shelf" and nearly forgotten.

Months ago a niece contacted me about "The Reid Saga". Her memories of imaginative play that formed the basis of "The Reid Saga" were special to her and she asked for a copy of the story Cory and I had written. She wanted to make copies and bind them, giving each of the other nieces and nephews a copy.

So - editing began and a flood of memories that to this day so very many years later bring a smile to my face, fond remebrances to mind, and warmth to my heart.
Those nieces and nephews have grown, many now with children of their own. But I see them - in my mind's eye - as those bright-eyed, exuberant children who brought such joy to my life.
And as I read the story again and edited it for "publication" those memories only strengthened in my mind the importance of memories. memories tied to family and to writing.
The story is far-fetched but the joy is not. The characters fictional but their inspiration so real.

The years passed, Cory and I moved on from our back-and-forth chapters but something new was born - and I am sure - all brought about by what was fostered by a letter recieved in Italy from a nephew more years than I really care to count ago.

What was born - in part because of Cory's letter - was the beginning of creating drama scripts - a new venture thta continues this day to bring  fulfillment  and joy and a new partnership with a very dear friend as we create back-and-forth, chapter-by-chapter scripts to share the message of Christ's gospel with people of all generations in churches,  nursing homes , and rescue missions.

2 comments:

João Esteves said...

Marna, what a wonderful real-life account, and what a wonderful family yous surely is. Of course we all certainly do lots of things to while away the boredom of certain hours, to keep kids busy, and so forth, however instances in which such actions are carried out for so long and come to be so meaningful and eventually so beautifully rewarded are not, at any rate, usual. This fact alone deserves my honest and on the whole unqualified appreciation from Brazil. And I also like very much to see you blogging here again. Hope to find and read new stuff here for the next couple of decades, till only God knows when.

JMMEE said...

Thank you, João.
Life has slowed down somewhat - hoping to return to writing here on a more regular basis.
Many blessings.