This whirlwind of life so often leaves us breathless as we rush from activity to activity, rarely pausing long enough in our over-committed schedules to truly live. We fill our days with responsibilities and appointments, projects and events; leaving no time for reflection. No time for rest. No time to truly know who we are.
Is it a lack of peace? Or perhaps trust? Maybe a lack of faith?
Do we worry too much about meeting others' expectations that we try too hard to do too much, to be someone we are not?
I find these thoughts running through my head when I realize that my day is too filled to take the time to stop and enjoy the little things – really listening to a child’s account of the school day, seeing a glimpse of a budding artist’s talent in a scribbled crayon masterpiece, observing the budding of trees and the first blooming of flowers in the Spring, searching for pictures in clouds passing overhead, actually listening to the words in a song. The list of the simple things is long and endless. Yet we can not, or choose not to, enjoy them because of our full-to-capacity days.
Perhaps we should re-evaluate our mission in this adventure called life. Or at least pause in the breathless rush of what our lives have become.
Fortunate I am to have been given this day when my schedule was empty and I had the time to reflect on the demanding schedule of what life has become. Through this time of consideration, I have found a desire to allow myself to step back and choose to make it a priority for each day to take the time to enjoy the little things; to carve out even just a few moments to find pleasure in these little blessings God places in my path... if only I will take the time and make the decision to see them as necessary and valuable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Marna, with "Breathless" you expressed something everyone around understands, for such a hectic life is no news anylonger.
This time I took the time to read you slowly enough. And this post does deserve a reading not breathless at all.
Please accept my apologies for having taken so long to come here while you've been a regular reader all along in my blog. Your written words do benefit me in many ways. They're always very well written, for one.
hello Marna,
i am following you now!
i saw your comments on joão's blogs and i really like to read you.
each time i learn something new; also here - and i agree with you - it's important to take time for our children, for art, for life itself...
i'm studying english again (after more then 30 years), so, please, forgive me my mistakes.
One of my wife's sayings is "Stop the world, I want to get off!" I tell her I know exactly what she means. Still, it looks as though what you do with your time makes it time well spent. Blessings.
Post a Comment