Friday, June 6, 2014

A Letter to My Son as He Graduates
Cocalico Senior High School – June 6th, 2014

Ethan,
You have finished the beginnings of your journey in life and now stand at the threshold of the beginnings of the rest of your life. Today I see the vital, loving, Godly young man that you have become and yet I also see in my mind’s eye the little boy you were when you stood at the threshold of the beginnings of preparing for today. A little blond boy, almost too small for the backpack that held his pencils and notebook, excited to go to school on the bus with “Sissy”. You didn’t look back as you stepped onto that bus though I watched with tears in my eyes – tears of pride, tears of knowing that that day began the journey of me letting go of my little boy. Today I look at you with tears also – tears of pride in who you have become, tears of joy in seeing the Godly man you are, and again tears of knowing I begin another journey of letting go of my child even more as you step across that threshold of adulthood. I know if you were sitting next to me right now you would be chuckling as I get teary eyed.

Ethan, I am so proud of you. And I love you – more than simple words can express. You have brought fun and excitement, and yes challenges and exasperation into my life as your mother, but above all you have brought joy and blessing.
Legos and k-nex to forts in the woods behind the house, matchbox cars, Tonka trucks and Rescue Heroes (were those big-footed action figures of choice an indication of your chosen life’s work?), Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, music both vocally and with your trumpet, Awana, Bible Studies, summer weeks at High Point Camp, youth group – 3C at Cocalico Community Chapel and Connect at Reformed Presbysterian, outreach and service project days, five years of The Ephrata Project serving your local community as your “mission” trips, lawn mowing at home, the greens crew at Fox Chase, a cashier at Weavers.  A challenge two years ago from your little brother and your best friend Jacob to come out for cross country summer fun leading to a place on the cross country and track teams at Cocalico. All of these memories of my little boy becoming a man, all of these activities shaping who you are.

You are my tender-hearted child, the one who loves quietly, yet cares deeply, who is loyal and compassionate. I have seen a heart for the Lord grow deeper and desire and passion to serve forming and strengthening in your life through your teen years. As I read the two letters of recommendation that Tim and Brian wrote for you I saw that they too see that in you. And now – as you begin the journey towards your chosen life’s work, you are taking that desire to serve and are beginning to prepare to become a servant of the community. Your pursuit of a degree in Criminal Justice will be the first stepping stone towards your goal. And I am so proud of you – proud that you desire is to serve others.

As you cross the threshold into the rest of your life I want share with you a few verses that speak of who you are and what you plan. The first I see played out in your life in so many ways. The other is my prayer for you as you journey towards becoming a police officer.
 
Micah 6:8 – He has shown you, o man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you – to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God .

Psalm 91:1 and 14-16 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. … “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”


I am honored to be called your Mom, Ethan. You are an amazing young man and I look forward to the next phase of your life. As a strong, Godly young man with a passion for serving others I know that you will succeed in that which you endeavor to do.

2 comments:

João Esteves said...

How good it is to come here and read this motherly post you wrote about your little boy entreing his early manhood. Beautiful words, feelings, even tears present here. My deep appreciation.

JMMEE said...

Thank you for your kind words, João.
Ethan continues to bring such joy and blessing into my life and as I watch him in the beginnings of his manhood I see his tenderness and compassion and sensitivity finding their "footing" on the pathway of his life.