Saturday, January 31, 2009

Reflections

My favorite book in the New Testament is Philippians. In the study of this book written by the Apostle Paul, I have found much wisdom and direction.

Just as God began to work within me at the time of salvation, He will continue to change and mold me to the way He wills for my life. He began His “good work” and only He can complete it – nothing I do will bring that about.
In his writing, Paul prays for the believers in Philippi – that they will grow in their knowledge of Christ and His will; that they would have a true understanding of Him and His calling. Through this, they will be able to know what is right and follow a path of righteousness available through Jesus Christ. This same “exhortation” applies to myself – I must grow in knowledge and understanding of Christ and His will in order that Christ is seen working in and through me.
As in the life of Paul, God can use my challenges, my difficulties, my troubles to advance the message of Christ if I allow Him to work in me through those situations. He uses such to bring about maturity in His followers, molding them to His image. Paul rejoiced when faced with such and set an example for all believers. The challenge to me is to be joyful in my salvation not matter what is happening. I am exhorted to live and react a manner “worthy of the gospel of Christ” NO MATTER (Phil. 1:27) what happens in my day-to-day life.
This applies also within my interactions with fellow believers. I am to stand firm – be united – persevere among all my trials with others as well as modeling Christ in my reactions.
As a believer, one who is indwelt with Christ, I should be filled with encouragement due to my relationship with Him – expressing love, tenderness, compassion toward fellow believers. I should strive for unity – not necessarily agreement; determined to avoid conflict – not just wanting “my way”, but working towards understanding and the support of fellow believers.
A willingness to serve others is the “mark” of a believer – modeling the example given to us by Christ as He became an obedient servant of His Father. In order to live in unity within ministry, I must work towards willingly looking for ways that all can work together in cooperation and mutual support.
Paul exhorts believers to serve without complaint – regardless of the situation – and that we must avoid argument in order that we “shine”/stand out in the midst of the sin and filth of this world – that our salvation might be clearly seen – pure and without any blame. So often I serve with a critical or complaining attitude rather than with a loving, servant heart and attitude.
Paul’s example shows believers the value of fellow workers; that we need to appreciate all they do to help and encourage us in ministry. Mutual agreement could go a long way in furthering ministry. We should not try to do it all on our own, but appreciate the support of others.
Even in the midst of this, I am reminded that I must not rely on anything I do to obtain true righteousness. No matter how much I do through ministry, no matter how much Scripture I study and memorize, no matter how often I go to church or pray or do anything “religious”, it will never bring me righteousness before God. Remembering what Christ ALONE has done for me is of utmost importance. ONLY though Him do I obtain any righteousness. Faith in Him alone is what I must trust. Drawing closer to Him should be my focus. I am called to become like Him and cannot do that without spending time with Him – that is where the study of the Word, the gathering with fellow believers and time spent in prayer are of benefit.
No matter how “far” I progress in the Christian life, I must never lose sight of the fact that my goal is perfection. Although no one will not obtain that perfection in this life, it still must be my focus, my incentive, my calling.
It would be so easy not to “take the upper road”, not to seek Christ’s leading – especially when faced with trials, unfairness, discouragement. I must strive towards what He has called me to.
I am called to rejoice no matter the circumstances – not necessarily to be happy in them – but to rejoice. Prayer is to be of utmost importance, for through such I can find God’s peace. I am exhorted to ponder upon, to consider, to think about all that is good, right, and pure rather than dwelling on the negative aspects of life. I am to be content and grateful for what He has given, whether little or much.

1 comment:

João Esteves said...

This all certainly gives good account of what you're up to in life, what you belileve, and so on.
I am impressed with these touching words, they sound really inspired. I view them with the porofoundest respect and in them someone who has already found the thing looked for.
I'd say you're happy, no mattter what happens to you. You wrote "nothing I do will bring that about" and those words did strike me as nothing short of scriptural, full of human substance.
If you do not object, I will follow this blog.