Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Peace Amidst Change

Change… whether it comes gradually or suddenly, affects more than just the immediate. We all face change - every day of this earthly life. I face it each day as my children grow, as new events and challenges arise, as situations occur, as I minister, as I work, as I live.
When change occurs, we find ourselves stepping back, if only figuratively, to reevaluate… reconsider… reflect… on what comes next. Questions arise… how will I handle this? What do I do next? Where will this take me? How do I accept what the result will be? Am I ready for this? Ofttimes the answers are not there and we stumble through, learning as we move forward… letting go… growing through the journey… accepting the inevitable... finding the good and the bad amidst the myriad of emotions we experience.
As I face my relatively easy changes, I choose to realize, to accept, to know that God brings us through those times, allowing us to search for His leading, His guidance, His peace. And if I someday face changes that are “hard”, I trust that I will be able to say this at that time also.
I cannot understand how, amidst these days of constant change, unknown future, and the chaos that is indicative of this world, someone can live without the peace that trust in God brings. Knowing that He has a plan, that He has my best interest at heart, that He knows my future allows me not to live in a constant state of worry, of fear, of discouragement, of depression.
We all face changes and I find the ability to move through those by putting my trust and dependence in my God and my Lord, Jesus Christ. He will be with me every step of the way – whether the changes are good or bad. And in the overall picture of life, I know HE IS IN CONTROL – He is with me every step of the way as I walk through this earthly life.
I could only pray that others, whether they are walking through times of good changes or difficult ones, would have the peace this knowledge brings.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace
as you TRUST IN HIM,
so that you may overflow with hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit.
– Romans 15:13 (NIV)

1 comment:

Andrew Clarke said...

As you say, if people knew the sovereignty of God rather than fearing cataclysm in a random universe, they need not become so desperate. A huge amount of the harm that happens in life begins with someone's fear or anger at what they think will happen, when they do not realize that God is in control.